4.5 - Activities

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Mar 10 19:26:46 CET 2010

On March 10, 2010, todd rme wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> >> If someone did this, would you accept the patch?  I described a
> >
> > sure; i'd recommend doing it as a proof-of-concept first in a new
> > Containment plugin, so that it isn't bumping into existing layout code.
> > it would make it easier to test and work on strategies.
>
> I can do that, I think.

cool. :)

> > for testing, i'd also recommend using something like plasmoidviewer: a
> > simple one-window app that is a Plasma::View which loads a Corona and
> > this new Containment. it could then have some controls on it to change
> > the size of the window to different common screen resolutions (maybe a
> > toolbar with some buttons?). this would allow easy testing, and
> > shouldn't be more than a hundred or so LOC.
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to just use a virtual machine and resize the
> machine arbitrarily?

what i suggested gives the same benefit, only without requiring a whole VM t
run it in. with a simple app that resizes its window, you can create any set
of sizes wanted and it would be far easier for others to test this way as
well.

> > or perhaps the desktop layout could use an anchor style layout with the
> > ratio to the edges or other landmarks being used.
>
> That would be a solution, but I think that would require much more
> major changes, at least to the plasma configuration files.  I was

not really; what is in the configuration files is simply the resulting
geometry. how that geometry is arrived at is completely up to the containment.

humru othro a kohnu se