4.5 - Activities

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 16:49:13 CET 2010

On Wednesday 10 March 2010, todd rme wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> If someone did this, would you accept the patch?  I described a
> >> detailed proposal in the bug report I linked to.
> >
> > I wouldn't like a patch like that (maybe if it's done in
> > desktopconteinment, since is highly containment-specific)
> > applets should be relayouted in a good way, really not sure about
> > resizing.
>
> Yes, this would only apply to desktop and folder view containments.  I
> haven't tried it with newspaper, but I assume the columns would
> automatically resize and the vertical dimension is not a problem since
> the containment scrolls vertically.
>
> In your mind, what would be "a good way"?  If there are applets spread
> across the screen, you can't relayout them without resizing or having
> them on top of each other in the desktop or folderview containment.
> If any of your applets are larger than one of the new screen
> dimensions, if you don't resize them part of these applets will be
> off-screen (potentially a critical part like controls or buttons).  I
> don't see another solution that would result in all of your applets
> being usable.

well, what concerns me is that it's possible that some applets would be
resized less than their minimum size ( resulting in a size different to what
you did expect) so this would not be fail proof either.
you can try retyingto resize and reposition all the geoetries attempting
keeping proportions and see what happens, but i'm not sure it would be so much
better than what we have now.
but i guess it can only be tried to find out

Cheers,
Marco Martin