4.5 - Activities

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 05:27:06 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
>> The critical thing here is that containments have to rescale the
>> widgets they contain depending on the monitor resolution.  Otherwise
>
> this is both containment-specific (not all containments follow the same
> layouting strategy) and orthogonal to coordinating containments and contexts.
> it would be interesting to see work done on this, but it's a different project
> touching different parts of the code base altogether.

If someone did this, would you accept the patch?  I described a
detailed proposal in the bug report I linked to.

>> you will end up useless activities when you change resolutions, which
>> is what we have now.
>
> have i mentioned recently how much hyperbole annoys me? :)

If you put an activity on a screen smaller than what it was created
with, you can end up with many of your widgets mostly-off screen,
others placed randomly, weird sizes, and all sorts of other random
issues.  So I guess if you want to be pedantic, depending on your
widget choice and layout you will end up with activities where all,
some, or none of your widgets are unusable, but if you make full use
of the space available at least some of your widgets will probably be
rendered fully or partially unusable and the layout will be
significantly changed.  But I felt I was clear enough about what I
meant elsewhere that it wasn't constructive to go into another long
explanation.

>> Further, you could have it so people could change the activities
>> independently on their two monitors, allowing them to have the same or
>> different activities on the two monitors depending on what they are
>
> no; this is more complex than necessary (just think of the control UI) and
> every time we've offered independent screen actions they've been rejected by
> most people we've gone to for feedback

Fair enough, these were just ideas.