4.5 - Activities

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Mar 10 04:14:55 CET 2010

On March 8, 2010, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> - libs/consumer
> ActivityConsumer - basic access to kded service for normal apps
> ActivityInfo - access to extra info provided by nepomuk - this one will
> probably get expanded in future.
>
> - libs/controller
> ActivityController class - access to kded service for activity managers
> (kwin, plasma) - will probably be changed/extended to suit Chani's
> (kwin's) needs.

do you have any thoughts currently on where the classes in these libs should
end up, or do we need to start looking for homes for them?

and with my "i've never seen this API before, i'm just a silly application
developer" hat on (hopefully i don't role play that too over the top here, but
i'm not letting myself look at the .cpp files just yet, only the headers ;):

ActivityConsumer: how is the WId to be used (internally) in the document
registration methods? e.g. what will we do with this information?

what are there document registration methods in ActivityConsumer if
ActivityInfo also lets me do that?

why can't i get ActivityInfo from from ActivityConsumer?

should ActivityConsumer::currentActivity() be currentActivityId()?

availableActivities() -> listActivityIds() to be consistent with our other
API?

should ActivityConsumer::activityName() go into ActivityInfo instead? ditto
for the activity name changed signal? or is ActivityInfo too heavyweight
(though that should be solvable by loading information on request only if it
isn't already)?

activitiesForDocument -> activitiesByIdForDocument? what about the other kinds
of resources that ActivityInfo lets me get to?

on the controller side:

currentActivity -> currentActivityId()?

availableActivities ... why wouldn't the controller use ActivityConsumer for
this? same for currentActivity, for that matter.

perhaps ActivityController could be a subclass of ActivityConsumer, even?

how will location be associated with this concept?  it would be great to be
able to create locations, associated with triggers such as network access
attributes or physical (gps) locations, and the associate activities with
those. it might be nice to:

* have a default activity for a location

* have other activities associated with a location for ranking/sorting in the
activity switcher

this should, imho, go into the ActivityController class in some way along with
a first class concept of Location.

humru othro a kohnu se