4.5 - Activities

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 00:17:04 CET 2010

I've only had a quick glance at the code so far... but... I'd completely
forgotten something that might be a problem: multiple screens.

if we continue having the activity correspond to exactly one containment, then
you've always got two different activities on your two different monitors. that
means two activities visible at a time, and having to set up two activities
for two halves of the same, well, activity... and other such complications.
how would we then get features like setting your IM status based on your
activity? it just seems like a mess.

but if we make the activity span all monitors, we run into other issues - what
happens when the number of monitors is reduced? where do all the extra
containments go? how does the user look at them again, or delete them?

since I've never worked with multiple monitors, I don't really know what sort
of use cases to expect. do people often change the number of monitors they've
got? do they use the multiple-monitor thing with projectors, or just have the
projector show what's on their screen like my laptop does? do they actually
use the different monitors for different tasks? do they plug in different-sized
monitors at different times?

so... I dunno... should we build the API so that it's possible to have >1
visible activity? or should we decide that the activity is completely global,
and then figure out how to gracefully handle changes in the number of monitors?

I'd prefer the latter, but I just don't have experience with this stuff.

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com