Quicklaunch applet: Proposed change to the ordering of icons

Ingomar Wesp ingomar at wesp.name
Tue Mar 9 22:14:40 CET 2010

Hi,

Before I submit a corresponding patch, I'd like to ask for feedback on the
following proposal for the quicklaunch applet:

Currently, icons are arranged in column major order. Thus, when 5 icons are
displayed in two rows, the indices are distributed as follows:

+---+---+---+
| 0 | 2 | 4 |
+---+---+---+
| 1 | 3 |
+---+---+

I would suggest to arrange icons in row major order instead:

+---+---+---+
| 0 | 1 | 2 |
+---+---+---+
| 3 | 4 |
+---+---+

Pros: The ordering seems more natural to me (maybe because it's similar to the
flow of text) and would also be consistent with the ordering of items in the
task bar.

Cons: Users who currently use the quicklaunch applet with multiple rows will
have the order of their icons changed. They would have to re-arrange the icons
(once) in order to get the sequence they are used to.

Please tell me what you think.

If the idea is accepted, I will submit a review request for the implementation
of the change soon.

Thanks,
Ingo