New task / dock management library

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Mar 8 01:38:37 CET 2010

On March 7, 2010, Emdek wrote:
> And I would like to do it as GSoC project, it could include example
> dock implementation (visualization), as I'm working for one year on

as i've said on irc previously, while i respect your choice to work on this, i
think it's completely unnecessary and a poor direction. i really don't want to
spend one of our SoC slots on such a thing.

it is fun to work on something new. and, of course, we all get to choose what
we work on. this is what helps make f/oss development fun and interesting.

but none of the features you listed are actually unique to docks outside of
mixing launchers with windows, and a new library is not required to achieve
that. other things like "merging system tray windows with task entries") or
qtscript for grouping strategies[1] could (and should) be added to
libtaskmanager where they would benefit all task managers.

[1]  though that sounds like completely overkill tbh; are there really that
many different strategies, or that well end being added at runtime?.

humru othro a kohnu se