4.5 polishment: krunner (under_the_hood)

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 17:27:29 CET 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Jacopo De Simoi <wilderkde at gmail.com> wrote:
> My proposal is the following: when obtaining a succesful partial match (e.g. "kon" for "konsole", "kma" for "kmail" "sys" for "system settings") we store somewhere (in the querymatch?) not just the exact query (i.e. "kon", "kma", "sys") but the minimum completion of our partial query in the string (i.e. "konsole", "kmail", "system"). We will then keep track of the number of times a pair (match_id, "completed query") has been called instead of just the match_id.
> Notice that we actually need the word(s) containing the query for this to be useful, otherwise "kon" "kons" "konso", willl all add up to different counters, which is suboptimal.
> In any case this would imho allow krunner to better guess that the user wants to run for a given query.

This is how it is done in the firefox "awesome bar", and it seems to work well.

A question: In the current implementation, is sorting only done for
the application runner, is done for all entries in all runners?  I
think the latter approach is better, I have heard some requests for
this, although I personally do not do much beyond the application and
calculator runners myself.

-Todd