GSoC: PMC: JavaScript backends progress

Hayri Bakici thehayro at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 12:49:19 CEST 2010

Hey guys!

Here is a quick update about the Plasma Media Center backends in writing a
dataengine in JS.

The DateEngine really runs (thanks to aaron :) )
For now, it can make a flickr.photo.search requests get the response and
parse the xml, and display it on the dataEngine.
I had to paste the xml to script lib into my dataengine, due to "include"
problems. I know that a JS plasmoid has a command

plasmoid.include('libsomething.js');

however it doesn't work with my dataengine (although i used
engine.include('libsomething.js'); )
If you are wondering why the dataengine data, such as "published date" or
"keywords" is empty, then it is because of flickr: there should be a
specific getPhotoInfo request when you want to get the information.

the next thing is to write the "fetch addons" function (waiting for aaron ;)
) in this DataEngine and extract my request-response-parseXml code into an
Addon.
btw. i remember that the addon should have some kind of a main function? how
should the addon give its information to the DateEngine?

Another thing I was wondering about the MediaData API: since we merged the
"video" and "photo" API together, there are still attributes that are
disjunct. should i just drop them for now?

the code can be found here:

git://gitorious.org/lilflickr/lilflickr.git

cheers