Fwd: Auto-discard notification

Martin Gräßlin kde at martin-graesslin.com
Mon Jun 14 18:04:10 CEST 2010

On Sunday 13 June 2010 20:31:53 Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> There are several spots in KDE where long texts (or URLs) would be a
> problem. In most cases this is solved using KSqueezedTextLabel, so why
> can't the window list in the Task switcher not use this squeezing, too, to
> prevent a switcher that is way too wide?
Well that is already used. The text is squeezed to fit into the screen width.
There is even more logic to find an average in the size between all entries.
But this breaks as soon as one entry is too long (e.g. twice the screen size)
or all texts are long.

I don't think it makes sense to try to get this perfect and I even doubt that
it were possible to get it perfect. The classic TabBox is not our default
(BoxSwitch effect is the default) and we have several different layouts to
change the look and feel of classic TabBox - including one with smaller text
and left aligned and Icon only layouts. And cutting of from the title is kind
of bad as we don't know when we start to cut off important information. It is
limited and I think it's fine that we use the whole screen width.