KDE4 - problem modifying the desktop and/or root window

Joshua Hager jhager at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 11 19:57:41 CEST 2010

Hey Guys,
After a day and a half of non-stop forum/mail list/Help doc reading, I have
come to the conclusion that I need help. I stumbled upon a post on another
board (http://fixunix.com/debian/434663-kde4-root-tail.html) in which the
user was pointed to a non-existant mail list. I think this is the right
list, and I apologize if this has already been covered elsewhere. In such
an incident I ask for a simple kick in the right direction.

My situation :
I am trying to get root-tail to work and display properly so I can display
custom system information on the desktop for our testers/developers that do
not know how to find it. However, I cannot get it to work with plasma no
matter what I try, yet I was able to get it working on kde3 by using the
checkbox for the 'Allow programs in desktop window' option. I am simply
unable to locate the kde4 equivalent of said option (if one exists), or if
using such programs in kde4 is now considered an act of lunacy.

Am I missing something completely obvious, or can anyone shed some light on
a poor brain in the shadows?

OS in question - SLES 11 (base and sp1) 32 and 64 bit

Any/all assistance is appreciated, and keep up the good work.
Joshua Hager
Network/Systems Admin
RTP IBM Director  Labs
"Enough with the squeaky shoes"