[Plasma Media Center] some advice request

Martin Gräßlin kde at martin-graesslin.com
Sun Jun 6 21:01:13 CEST 2010

Am Freitag 04 Juni 2010, 23:47:07 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> another approach might be to make it a kwin plugin, and have the video
> window rendered beneath the PMC window using a compositing plugin. this
> plugin would need to know what the video window is and what the PMC window
> is (can be done using XAtoms specific to the plugin) and then render the
> video window under the PMC window and not using the normal rendering. one
> of the KWin people might be able to help guide us here in how best to make
> that happen, and the plugin could probably ship with PMC itself. this
> would tie PMC to kwin, but it would also mean that it would work just
> great non-fullscreen and without any window management hacks in PMC
> itself.
I think that this could work, but I want to point out two things:
1. Texture from pixmap is quite heavy with some drivers. CPU usage for kwin
increases to approx. 20 % when watching a video on my system. I often turn
compositing off when watching fullscreen movies and don't need effects.
Depending on the hardware PMC is targeting this could become a problem. On the
other hand it's likely that we need compositing as we might want to have nice
alpha-blended overlay controls in own windows, etc. etc. Also we have to tweak
kwin so that the effect enforces that the fullscreen video window is not
unredirected. Something I wanted to add for a long time...

2. The effect should live in kwin source directory because the KWin Effects
API does not provide a stable ABI. If the PMC effects live in another source
tree and PMC is released together with PMC I don't see a problem - except that
the effect is not magically updated by kwin devs. If it's released seperately
we have to find a solution. Maybe that would be an excuse to start to think
about providing a stable ABI ;-) (Although I already have ideas how to break
ABI as soon as 4.6 development starts)