[Plasma Media Center] some advice request

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jun 4 23:47:07 CEST 2010

On June 4, 2010, Alessandro Diaferia wrote:
> At the very beginning we had the idea to put a plain VideoWidget behind the
> transparent-made containment (really, the Plasma::View)
> but IIRC this is not possible as long as there is a window registered as
> desktop in the WM.

the PMC (plasma media center) window isn't a desktop window, so this isn't an
issue. PMC is a "stays on top", fullscreen window. the video just needs to be
stack beneath it without any other windows in between. (really, a job for the
window manager, but for now we'll have to manage that on our own ... it also
means that PMC will not work non-full screen very well since the geometry of
the windows would need to be sync'd.) this, btw,  is exactly what LinuxMCE
does.

another approach might be to make it a kwin plugin, and have the video window
rendered beneath the PMC window using a compositing plugin. this plugin would
need to know what the video window is and what the PMC window is (can be done
using XAtoms specific to the plugin) and then render the video window under
the PMC window and not using the normal rendering. one of the KWin people
might be able to help guide us here in how best to make that happen, and the
plugin could probably ship with PMC itself. this would tie PMC to kwin, but it
would also mean that it would work just great non-fullscreen and without any
window management hacks in PMC itself.

CC'ing the kwin list to see what they think of that.

> How should I handle such events in order to allow further extension via
> other kind of input devices? Any hint for me?

QGesture may be of help here.

humru othro a kohnu se