Plasma menubar design questions

Alessandro Diaferia alediaferia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 16:28:50 CEST 2010

2010/6/2 Aurélien Gâteau <aurelien.gateau at canonical.com>

> Hi,
>
> As you probably know if you read PlanetKDE, I am working on implementing
> a global menubar for KDE, using DBusMenu. Here is a link to the post in
> case you missed it:
>

> http://agateau.wordpress.com/2010/05/10/getting-menus-out-of-application-windows/
>
> It is composed of a Qt patch and a Plasma menubar widget.
>
> It is starting to work reasonably, but I have some design questions
> though: what should the widget show when no application is active?
> Similarly, what should it show when the selected application window has
> no menubar?
>
> Right now it just shows a "Menu" item which contains a disabled "No
> items" entry, but this can probably be improved. What do you think would
> be the best?
>
> Aurélien

Imho the title of the current active application should be shown.
When clicking it it should popup a menu with a "Quit" entry and an "About"
one.
The about one is something easily retrievable through the KAboutData class
but i dunno for other kind of apps.

When no application is shown Plasma settings seems reasonable to me (maybe
using the cashew icon in place of a string for the menu entry :).

Just my 2cc.
Cheers.
--
Alessandro Diaferia