integrating plasma into kdevelop's dashboard

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Wed Jul 28 04:52:15 CEST 2010

On Tue 27 July 2010 18:13:07 Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 1:14 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > On July 27, 2010, Aleix Pol wrote:
> > > But I need to know it before, to be able to create the items
> > > accordingly.
> >
> > it sounds like you are implementing something "incorrectly" here.
> >
> > the only thing PluginLoader should need to do is return the right kind of
> > object. from that point forward, it's up to the object itself to Do The
> > Right
> > Thing. by the time Applet::init() is caled, it knows what containment,
> > etc it
> > is in, and set up of the Applet that relies on that informaton should be
> > done
> > there.
> >
> > --
> > Aaron J. Seigo
> > humru othro a kohnu se
> > GPG Fingerprint: 8B8B 2209 0C6F 7C47 B1EA  EE75 D6B7 2EB1 A7F1 DB43

> I've been looking into it and it's fine to use DataEngines. I have the
> exact same problem though. I can create a kdevelop DataEngine with a
> project DataContainer, but this is still created in the PluginLoader and I
> can't have a reference to the Project.

... I think we're missing something here. The whole point of the PluginLoader
is to let you access the internals off applications via DataEngine, etc...
Create the DataEngine and PluginLoader subclass somewhere that you have access
to the object you need, pass it to plasma (you could make a call to one of
PlasmaKPart's slots, but you'll have to do this yourself in your corona or
view creation code, or somewhere...

--
Ryan Rix
== http://rix.si/page/contact/ if you need a word         ==