KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/generic/applets/devicenotifier

Markus Slopianka markus.s at kdemail.net
Fri Jul 16 02:22:24 CEST 2010

On Thursday 15 July 2010 17:57:11 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> <aaron's advocate>i really dislike text-on-graphics from a design
> perspective. text is fine detail, and a progress bar is visually fairly
> complex. maybe it's time to think outside the box. e.g. maybe colourize
> the device icon showing what % of it is filled and provide the usage text
> where the current progress bar is. the pie chart solution as seen in
> Lancelot would likely break up the layout in visually unpleasing ways
> here, so i wouldn't consider that too much.</aaron's advocate>

I guess you don't have a portable MP3 player. If you had one, you wouldn't
make such ridiculous proposals.

Colors, pie charts, etc. are OK for quick and dirty checks -- for disks that
have hundreds of gigs available and a single MB isn't of any significance.
With common MP3 players a single MB makes the difference if I can have a song
stored on the device or not.

Design decisions that require tooltips or additional clicks to find out basic
information (be it space available on external drives such as MP3 players or
Plasmoid descriptions) are counter usability and may have their space in the
realm of GNOME.