[Nepomuk] Activities protocol

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 18:45:22 CEST 2010

On July 15, 2010 07:35:10 Ryan Rix wrote:
> On Wed 14 July 2010 10:32:19 pm Chani wrote:
> > >
> > > yes, that makes sense.

> > > only if it can be done in a way that is sensible. it won't be able to
> > > be an optional thing because we can't introduce new strings in the 4.5
> > > branch, so no configuration UI is possible. so if it is added, it
> > > needs to absolutely work because it will not only be the default ...
> > > it won't be able to be turned off.
> >
> > honestly, I hadn't planned to make it an option ever. :)
> >
> > > that said, i think it may make work well since it's an active user
> > > selection to associate the window with the activity, and the window
> > > won't be shown when a different activity is shown.
> > >
> > > what will likely end up becoming a requirement, however, is a way to
> > > show windows in other activities so that a person may find "that krita
> > > window i had open ..." without switching to every activity manually.
> > > that sounds a bit more like something for 4.6, though.
> >
> > true; I tend to lose windows even just with vdesktops :) logging out
> > properly has become far more tedious now that I need to remember to check
> > all desktops *and* all activities for unsaved work and session-unfriendly
> > apps.
>
> There's a runner for that, no? :p Of course I'd be interested in knowing
> who knows to use krunner, among 'regular' users....

er... a runner for what? :) a windowlist runner isn't useful because I don't
remember the names of the windows. an activity-switcher runner isn't any more
useful than tabbing through them. the problem here is that I *might* have some
window somewhere that I've completely forgotten about having unsaved content
in, like one of my konsoles or a konqueror tab with a half-writen comment, or
a kmail window (rare but has happened).
'course, it'd be a slightly easier process if I could close the activities
individually (including windows, I mean). then I would at least know which
ones were clear.