[Nepomuk] Activities protocol

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Thu Jul 15 10:50:01 CEST 2010

> The advantage of a DBus API is simple: we could make it a freedesktop
> standard and share interfaces with systems like Zeitgeit.

Yes, that is my idea as well, but still, accessing the dbus api via a
higher-layer class makes it easier to change the dbus api as needed
(until it becomes fdo standard, and maybe even later) without changing
every program that uses it.

An example can be the recent addition of application /name/ to the
parameters list when opening a document. *1*

KActivity* (client) API remained the same while the d-bus interface was changed.

The classes are like small wrappers which allow the dbus api to be
minimal and change if needed while providing a nice experience for the
developer (sine aKademy, I'm practicing my marketing-speak :) )

Cheerio

*1* The d-bus api can't be expected to be stable at this point in
development, and we need to start patching apps to support activities
now

--
While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
Dying to believe in what you heard