DataEngine cache/storage

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jul 14 19:46:05 CEST 2010

On July 14, 2010, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> I'm wondering if the Storage or newer Caching stuff would be a good fit for
> my DataEngine.
>
> For my DNS-SD discovery mechanism, I would like sources for hosts that go
> off line to stick around after. I can fairly easily build some internal
> caching myself, but if plasma can provide a way to do it, that would
> probably be a better solution.

while the DataEngine is alive, if a host goes off-line, then it's up to the
DataEngine to not get rid of the source. between instances of the DataEngine
being created (e.g. the DataEngine is created in response to a request by your
applet, then the applet is removed, then it is added again; or between starts
of plasma-desktop, etc.), the new DataEngine caching should indeed do the
trick for you by keeping the last known data around.

humru othro a kohnu se