Plasma theming: Re-using existing widget SVGs

Ingomar Wesp ingomar at wesp.name
Tue Jul 13 15:58:36 CEST 2010

Hi,

just a quick question regarding theming:

The quicklaunch applet currently uses a KIcon for displaying the arrow that
triggers/hides its popup, which obviously isn't theme aware and might look bad
in some themes due to contrast issues.

Since the graphics for a nice extender arrow are already provided for the
systray widget in [...]runtime/desktoptheme/[...]/widgets/systemtray.svgz,
referring to them through Plasma::Theme would be easy, but I'm not sure if
it's such a good idea since it would make the quicklaunch applet depend on
possible future changes of the systray applet.

I guess, the alternative would be to copy the relevant parts of
systemtray.svgz into a new SVG which could then be used by the quicklaunch
applet. OTOH, this would mean that other plasma themes would have to apply
this change as well.

Could you give me a quick pointer as to

- which of the two possibilities are in line with how we do such things ;)
- who I would have to talk to if we'd rather add a new SVG for the quicklaunch
  widget than re-use the existing one.

Thanks and best regards,
Ingo