Plasma::Wallpaper does software scaling/copying when it isn't necessary

velociraptor Genjix aphidia at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 12 19:01:33 CEST 2010

> Really? To me it looks like you're just using sws_scale which is a software
> scale.
>
> > but Plasma::Wallpaper requires me to still copy this array with slow
> > software acceleration. If the format is correct then just give me the target
> > X surface.
>
> I'm not sure what would that give you. I'm guessing you want to use something
> like XvPutImage which wouldn't work because you already convert the frames to
> RGB and basically no one accelerates Xv with RGB surfaces. Besides it would be
> only meaningful assuming that a) Plasma currently runs on a system with X11,
> b) the driver doesn't implement Xv using an overlay. While we could assume "a"
> and disable the plugin if it's not the case, there's no reliable way of
> testing b and it will obviously break the entire Plasma (your video will
> render on top of everything).

Well any pixel format is possible but we don't want to break plasma. I didn't know sws_scale was software based but thanks for the info. I guess plasma is still the bottle neck though since I can render the video to a fullscreen window (using a GL quad) no problems.
> > A video wallpaper should be as natural as an image or colour in today's
> > world.
>
> That's a bit unrealistic. A static wallpaper needs to be uploaded only once,
> while the video will need to be uploaded ~24 times per second (and given that
> you're scaling in software even on an avarage laptop that's 1280*800*4*24 =~
> 98MB every second).

But still with all the fancy 3D effects we have turned on... Video wallpaper is only a small concern. Sure it's not for developers, but having a video wallpaper makes for a very sexy desktop to show off Linux.
> IMHO for video it'd be more interesting to start Plasma with a GL engine and
> after decoding the frame (to whatever is the video native YUV format, e.g.
> YUV420 for VP8) rendering it as a texture while doing the to rgb conversion
> and scale in shaders.
Is it currently possible? Plasma doesn't currently have a GL engine I don't think?
Thanks for you comments. Appreciate it ;)