Activity identicons v 1.99 :) (post-akademy)

Alessandro Diaferia alediaferia at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 13:44:39 CEST 2010

  Il 12/07/2010 13:09, Ivan Čukić ha scritto:
> 0. Not going to discuss about the reasoning behind identicons again.
>
> 1. Activities are no more only /desktop-setups-group-of-widgets/ so
> making thumbnails can be counter-productive - you can keep the desktop
> empty in all activities and still want to use other activity-related
> features. Or if you like consistency, you could make the layout for
> all activities identical (for example a few folder-views)
>
> 2. Creating a set of predefined activities just so that the icon is
> auto-assigned? Very strange reasoning. You could argue that the
> predefining would also provide a standard widgets layout, but it is
> not plausible - the layouts in different 'types' can be quite the
> same, and layouts for the same 'type' can be totally different.
The set of predefined activities was not meant as a solution for the
auto-assigned icon stuff, I just intended that as a default set of most
used activities. But anyway as you make me notice it's not the best way
to go :)
> 3. Showing the configuration dialogue on creation is a possibility
> that I have nothing against. But we still need different icons if the
> user doesn't want to set them.
My only concern remains about auto-generated icons. I really don't see
the point of them, but, again, i might be completely wrong. Having just
one generic activity icon would force the user to choose an appropriate
one in order to distinguish among them and I feel this is ok rather than
unmeaningful auto-generated ones. In addition to this, wWhat would be
really awesome is having an "icon-guess-system" based on the type of
plasmoids the user loads in the activites. But, again, probably only
guessing on plasmoid types is not enough.
> Cheerio

Regards

--
Alessandro Diaferia