[kde-promo] Plasma Calendar showing Akonadi Events in SC 4.5

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Jul 11 11:32:22 CEST 2010

On Wednesday, 2010-07-07, John Layt wrote:
> I've been chatting to the kdepim guys about the bugs in the plasma calendar
> when showing pim events.  While I'm on track to fix those today, a more
> basic issue has appeared.
>
> The plasma calendar uses Akonadi to obtain the calendar data.  Calendar
> data is being akonadi-fied for the first time in kdepim 4.5.  kdepim 4.5
> has been delayed and will not ship with the rest of SC 4.5.  Hence most
> users will not even see the calendar events displayed as their data will
> not have been migrated and they do not have the compatibility layer
> enabled.

The part of the migration where Akonadi gets access to the same files used by
KResource applications should be enabled already (since 4.2 or 4.3 IIRC).
The disabled part if the creation of application side compatibility plugins.

E.g. KOrganizer writing into the default calendar file through KResources
should be detected by Akonadi's Personal Calendar Resource.
Probably not instantanious though.

> This becomes a comms issue.  If we announce the feature in the release plan
> then we will get bug reports for it not working and disappointed users.  We
> need to either not announce the feature at all, or make it very clear that
> this will only work when kdepim 4.5 is released which may be several
> months.

Right. Even if Akonadi has access to the same data, it might do so slightly
different and thus not give the fully integrated experience.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring