Plasma Calendar showing Akonadi Events in SC 4.5

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 7 13:00:57 CEST 2010

I've been chatting to the kdepim guys about the bugs in the plasma calendar
when showing pim events.  While I'm on track to fix those today, a more basic
issue has appeared.

The plasma calendar uses Akonadi to obtain the calendar data.  Calendar data
is being akonadi-fied for the first time in kdepim 4.5.  kdepim 4.5 has been
delayed and will not ship with the rest of SC 4.5.  Hence most users will not
even see the calendar events displayed as their data will not have been
migrated and they do not have the compatibility layer enabled.

This becomes a comms issue.  If we announce the feature in the release plan
then we will get bug reports for it not working and disappointed users.  We
need to either not announce the feature at all, or make it very clear that
this will only work when kdepim 4.5 is released which may be several months.

Cheers!

John.