[GSoC]: DataEngine queries in JavaScript

Alessandro Diaferia alediaferia at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 08:33:11 CEST 2010

2010/7/6 Onur-Hayri Bakici <thehayro at gmail.com>

> Hey guys!
>
> I was thinking about the queries that should be used when querying tha
> addons
> since we mostly search for web-media i'll suggest the queries like
>
> provider:media?constraint1=value1&constraint2=value2
>
> so for example
>
> flickr:photo?text=birds //for searching photos text "birds"
>
> flickr:album?text=nyc //for searching albums
>
> flickr:photo?user=someRandomGuy // for searching photos from the user
> somerandomGuy
>
> analogue
>
> youtube:video?text=bad //for searching videos with text "bad"
>
> or
>
> youtube:playlist?text=bad
>

> and for collaboration:
>
> all:photo?text=bla //searches all providers with "bla"
>
> flickr:all?text=something //searches pictures, albums, users and maybe more
> with text "something"
>
> questions/comments?
>

> cheers?

I agree with the queries of course.
My only concern is with the media explicitation: i was more thinkin about:

providername:media?constraints=value&constraints....

so for example we have:
flickr:media?text=birds // to search single photos
and
flickr:mediaCollection?text=nyc // to search albums

and this would apply also to youtube where mediaCollection would be
identified as playlist. This would ease an eventual browsing backend written
for the browsing applet.
Of course this works only if each web service handles one single media type
so i'm not 100% sure whether this would be the right approach.

Thoughts?

--
Alessandro Diaferia
KDE Developer