Idea: Window management for 4.5

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 12:13:35 CET 2010

On Friday 29 January 2010, J Janz wrote:
>  2010/1/29 Jonathan Schmidt-Dominé - Developer <devel at the-user.org>
>
> >  Hi Plasma-Devs!
>
> Well, I'm not one but ... still, I guess I bring some issues that, thought
> deeper, could either help turning this ideas into something or sinking 'em
> down. ;)
>
>  Comments? Suggestions? Ideas?
>

> I like the idea of getting rid of systray icons (or taskbar entries),
> whenever systray icons also manage windows (amarok, kopete, ...). However,
> having one behaviour to icon and another for text would possibly confuse
> users, even because it's not very discoverable.
>
> I myself have been thinking about taskbar items bringing systray icons's
> menu but in the same context-menu. But don't know if it'd be too cluttered
> sometimes.
>
> On notifications above their own taskbar items (I also spent a little time
> with this idea before -- but not that much to solve this issue, really) the

no, it is not a good idea.
Notifications always cover a precious area of the screen, so at least it
should be always a consistent place.

Also, if the user want to actually interact with it, if they appear on an
unpredictable position, raises the time of reaction, making the user "think
more" to achieve the same thing

Cheers,
Marco Martin