notifications, again :D

Diego Moya turingt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 17:19:58 CET 2010

I've prepared a storyboard with my concept for notification popups
(explained in my previous post):

http://megaswf.com/view/c72134c5318f9aee8cfe2b3a99c3fa0a.html

I've changed my original "group" idea to a "pile": several popups get
visibly piled at the same place. This doesn't take much space, and
still shows how many simultaneous alerts arrive.

2010/1/27 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On January 26, 2010, Diego Moya wrote:
>> 2010/1/26 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> what i said is that showing all the previous notifications and jobs when a new
> notification is shown in the automatic popup is not desirable.

Yes, I agree with that. My idea was not to show all previous
notifications but just the new ones as soon as they arrive. Thus each
alert would create a popup exactly once, right when it's created, and
never again.

> when clicking the (i) icon, i'd like to be able to see the last active
> notification of each application. e.g. if kopete and kontact have both sent

I'd like to see the last active notification of each application even
if I don't click the (i) icon. This is the best way to know that
there's a Low Battery warning even if Kopete has sent a message one
milisecond later.

Showing only one message a time, if the two messages are together or
I'm not looking when the first one appears, I would never notice there
have been two alerts instead of one - so I wouldn't know to click the
(i) icon.

> out a notification to me, i should be able to see both if i purposefully click
> the (i). however, if kopete has sent 10 notifications, i should probably only
> see the most recent one, and be able to scroll through the older ones.

How long would you keep older warnings, and how would you layout them?
Say 20 applications have sent several messages each in the last hour.
Should the (i) icon show 20 boxes with 20 scrollbars?

>> recognizes already viewed notices (i.e. a familiar "blog" model).
> which seems backwards: if i explicitly ask for the notification to be shown,
> i'd like to be saved digging through all the kopete notifications just to find
> the last appointment notification from kontact.

Fair enough. I'm trying to prevent the user from missing any one
alert, which could happen if the same application sends two
notifications together. I think that putting together several fast
messages sent from the same application, should be handled by the
notification system, not left to individual applications like Kopete.

> this forces user interaction; notifications are often passive. simply showing
> a number and activating the (i) should be enough, as we currently do.

Ok, as long as the number is reset to 0 after the user clicks the (i).
I haven't looked if this is what happens now (and I'm now away from
home so I can't check).