Subject: Re: Subject: Re: On Plasmate's recent project list

Yuen Hoe Lim yuenhoe86 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 13:01:52 CET 2010

> What about performing a sort of sha1sum for each project file, and use it
> to perform a check when restoring a backup ?
> So, if we find two identical packages names with different hashes, we could
> prompt a dialog with the name of the package with an "overwrite" checkbox
> and a "details" button to give more infos about the projects. ( That's
> reptty rough I know, so what about your opinion?)

Nonono I don't think we need anything half as complicated as that. Like I
said, folder names are not visible to the user so we can rename it to
anything we want. The following simple algorithm should work:

for each folder f in import archive {
    while f also exists in the target location {
       generate a new name for f and rename f in the archive;
    }
}
extract archive to target location;

The user won't know (and doesn't need to know anyway) that any renaming has
occurred, he will always end up with exactly all his current projects plus
all the projects in the import archive at the end of the process. If this
happens to create any duplicates (it shouldn't if he uses it right, but in
case he doesn't), he could easily delete one of them off. Nice and clean.

I think this is easier and also more elegant and non-intrusive :) I did
something similar for importing individual projects, so I can implement this
if you guys don't have objections.

----
Jason "moofang" Lim Yuen Hoe
http://yuenhoe.co.cc/