Review Request: save/restore containments

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 23:23:55 CET 2010

On Sunday 24 January 2010, Chani Armitage wrote:
> > On 2010-01-24 15:13:41, Marco Martin wrote:
> > > the code for me is ok, and yes, i think an optional parameter with the
> > > filename in close would make a nice simmetry (depending on the ui
> > > maybe we could want also some way to "export! it?)
> >
> > Marco Martin wrote:
> >     for thumbnails, yes, a must have, and yes in the same folder.
> >     i thnk even if ugly the nly way to save them would be create a dummy
> >     qgraohicsview on it and make it render on a pixmap...
>
> doesn't sound ugly to me :)
> the harder questions are: what size should the thumbnail be? should the
well, probably the full big ass image would be a bit excessive? maybe sething
with a 512x512 boundary?

> thumbnail be a real thumbnail or just use the wallpaper? also, if we use
yes, full thumbnail is better, you could have 2 containments with the same
wallpaper (even if randomizing wallpaper upon creation as we talked sounds a
good idea)

> thumbnails of the currently-running activities in the activity manager UI,
> how do we nicely handle keeping them up-to-date with changes (especially
> animated wallpapers)?

if you save and close it there should be no problem, since the state is kinda
"frozen" (there is a mismatch if you change the theme meanwhile of course)

for running containments, this will be a problem, it will need to periodically
(some seconds? one minute?) redo the snapshot, that could be heavy,
or see if using actual tiny views would work, but probably will end up with
the same performance problems of the  zui..

> yeah, I need to pick a metaphor and stick with it. open/close,
> save/restore, import/export..? right now I'm leaning towards open/close
> with remove defaulting to true. I think that normally, activities will be
> more like objects, unique, not something you copy on a whim, but easily
> turned off for a while. "export" sounds too much like something that takes
> effort and isn't done regularly, like exporting your email archive. 99% of
> the time, the user should just be closing or opening one of their regular
> activities and not caring about the details. only 1% of the time are they
> likely to want to open an activity from elsewhere (say, one from their
> other computer or that someone else sent them), or save one to something
> they can send out.

snapshot/restoresnapshot? can't think about better terminology.. anyways
what's important is that they use the same verb/action and make sense from a
developer pov, then it hasn't to be necessarily connected to wat there is in
the ui :)

> However, there is a disadvantage to plasma's tendency to make things like
> the real world... being able to copy things and make them appear in >1
> place can be useful at times. I'd like it to be possible to clone applets
> and/or containments at some point, and it'd probably end up sharing code
> with this. hmm.

could it justify to move at least part of the code down in Applet?

btw, would applet clones have to be "syncronized? i don't think so?

Cheers,
Marco Martin