Bookmarks plasmoid moved to kdereview

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sun Jan 24 21:30:20 CET 2010

Hi,

Mardi, le 12 janvier 2010, à 02:14, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau a écrit:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just moved the Bookmarks plasmoid* from playground to kdereview.
>
> It's a simple one-button plasmoid which on a click (or activation) shows
>  the standard bookmarks menu and calls KRun for the selected bookmark. It
>  can be configured to just show a subtree of the whole bookmarks tree, also
>  automatically adapts the icon of the plasmoid's button and the tooltip.
>  Has "Edit bookmarks" in its context menu.
>
> All strings marked for translation, EBN has no krazy reports for it, run
> astyle to conform to Plasma code style.
> Seems to work fine from the test I have done, also use it in my 4.3
> environment for some weeks now without any problem.
>
> I think it will make a good addition, at least I missed it before :)
> Please tell me if you agree and/or if there are any flaws to be fixed.
>
> Open questions for me:
> Where should it go to after it has passed your review? kdebase or
>  kdeplasma- addons?
> Is the name "Bookmarks" to broad? What other name could it have to allow
> alternative bookmark related plasmoids?
> Which category should it be assigned to? Used
> 	X-KDE-PluginInfo-Category=File System
> for now, but is this the proper one?
>
> Future:
> I hope someone will do an Akonadi port of the KBookmark* system, so all the
> different bookmark systems (dynamic ones, Firefox, Opera, delicious,
>  whatever) are transparently behind the KBookmark* API. So I have no plans
>  to support other systems directly in the plasmoid. Although I sometimes
>  feel the need to add support for the Okular bookmarks. And soon for the
>  Okteta ones :)
>
> *
>  http://frinring.wordpress.com/2009/12/23/plasma-bookmarks-widget-now-with-
>  custom-base-folders/

Upcoming Tuesday two weeks have passed since the move into kdereview.
Thanks to Albert, Burkhard and Laurent some i18n problems have been fixed. Did
anyone else have the time to give this plasmoid a small test?
The codebase is rather small and simple, as is the functionality, so reviewing
should be quickly done, I hope :)

Here your quick guide to compile it:
svn co https://svn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/kdereview/plasma -N
svn up plasma/applets -N
svn up plasma/applets/bookmarks
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix` ../plasma
make
(sudo) make install

Also please think about some answers to the "Open Questions" as written above.

Thanks
Friedrich
--
Okteta - KDE Hex Editor - http://utils.kde.org/projects/okteta