moving wallpaper

Asraniel asraniel at fryx.ch
Sun Jan 24 00:28:30 CET 2010

Am Samstag 23 Januar 2010 12.00:26 schrieb andreas:
> hi,
> I am not a professional programmer and just try out a few things.
> As many users i am waiting for animated wallpapers for quit some time. When
>  i read that it is easily possible to create a plasma wallpaper plugin i
>  checked the tutorial on techbase.
> It actually turned out to be easy enough and i got it working on my pc.
indeed, writing a animated wallpaper is quite easy (i did the virus and
particles one).

> So what i did is simple. I took a still image, made it seamless and doubled
> its height. Than i needed only 20 lines of code to make it slowly move from
> top to bottom of my desktop. I created a timer with 10 ticks per second and
> called a repaint when it hit to show the wallpaper with an offset that is
> simply controlled by the timer.
>
> It is simple and beautiful and adds allot to the desktop experience.
>
> But i have questions about it :
>
> - is there anything like that already done or planned
not that i know of
> - is there a better way to implement it, with less resource usage
>   i have the proprietary amd driver installed on a 3 GHZ quadcore pc and it
> uses 20% cpu
No.. this is a real issue currently, there is no way to do something like
opengl drawing or whatever that would be faster. i have the same issue with
the wallpaper plugin, but could circumvent it a little by only updating the
parts of the wallpaper that really changed. but judging from your description
you have to update the whole wallpaper.. thats bad

> - how can i get access to a wallpaper selected in the systemsetting-
>
> >selectWallpaper dialog
>
> for now i am using an absolute path to the image
>
> - how can i add options in systemsettings when my wallpaper-plugin is
>  selected to control the animation-speed for instance
As aseigo said, you have to code all that yourself, sadly... thats why i took
the image wallpaper plugin as the base for the virus wallpaper and deleted
everything i didn't need. But thats really bad, because when there are bugfixes
in the image wallpaper, you won't get them. I hope there will be a way to make
that more general.