moving wallpaper

andreas andreas-olbrich at arcor.de
Sat Jan 23 12:00:26 CET 2010

hi,
I am not a professional programmer and just try out a few things.
As many users i am waiting for animated wallpapers for quit some time. When i
read that it is easily possible to create a plasma wallpaper plugin i checked
the tutorial on techbase.
It actually turned out to be easy enough and i got it working on my pc.

So what i did is simple. I took a still image, made it seamless and doubled
its height. Than i needed only 20 lines of code to make it slowly move from
top to bottom of my desktop. I created a timer with 10 ticks per second and
called a repaint when it hit to show the wallpaper with an offset that is
simply controlled by the timer.

It is simple and beautiful and adds allot to the desktop experience.

But i have questions about it :

- is there anything like that already done or planned
- is there a better way to implement it, with less resource usage
  i have the proprietary amd driver installed on a 3 GHZ quadcore pc and it
uses 20% cpu
- how can i get access to a wallpaper selected in the systemsetting-
>selectWallpaper dialog
for now i am using an absolute path to the image

- how can i add options in systemsettings when my wallpaper-plugin is selected
to control the animation-speed for instance

thanks folks