KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/generic/scriptengines/webkit

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Jan 2 20:14:29 CET 2010

On January 2, 2010, Petri Damstén wrote:
> On Saturday 02 January 2010 03:55:40 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > SVN commit 1068805 by aseigo:
> >
> > make DataEngines work again
>
> For webkit pasmoids dataEngine, config and globalConfig are already exposed
> in plasmawebapplet.h. Is this for some other use?

right now the webkit plasmoid API is a litte schizo. it's also pretty much
unlike the other script engines which expose a "plasmoid" object (not an
"applet" object...).

taking a step back and looking at it (instead of just trying to make things
that used to work do so again), i think what should be done is pretty
straightforward: the "plasma" object should just be removed, knownDataEngines
moved into PlasmaWebApplet and the "applet" object should be renamed
"plasmoid".

also, in my experience, it's pretty likely that if the PlasmaWebApplet object
gets any sot of sophistication to it that the C++ class behind the "plasmoid"
JS object will want to be split out, otherwise we end up with things "leaking"
into the JS by accident and the code in PlasmaWebApplet will get more and more
of a complex combination of both the ScriptEngine and the JS stuff. for now
it's probably fine, though.

the rest of the things should be fixed for 4.4, as we really can't screw
around with the API after that as it seems ;) people are actually using it to
do things now. i'm just about done doing the above and will commit in a bit.

this API also needs to be documented under here:

http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma#Plasma_Programming_with_Web_Technologies_.28HTML.2FJS.2FCSS_etc.29

probably an API page as we did with the JavaScript and another tutorial
showing the use of dataengines and configuration

humru othro a kohnu se