GSoC Proposal - basKet KDE SC 4 port

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Sat Feb 27 22:03:15 CET 2010

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago, I wrote a blog post detailing an idea of mine to port KDE
SC 3's basKet note taking application to KDE SC 4, and in the process
taking advantage of the various technologies that have evolved since
basKet's last official release.[1]

Recently, I've begun work on this application on gitorious[2], and am
interested in applying for GSoC to work on this with a mentor from kde-
pim and a mentor from plasma. Currently the code does little more than
spawn a plasma desktop containment in a window, but work continues :)

Possible goals for the end of summer:
- Notes application with various specially designed plasma applets that
allow users to save notes of text, html, and various multimedia. Recycle
currently implemented plasma applets when possible
- Notes applets for interfacing with kde-pim. For example, show contacts
from a group associated with the applet, or events from a similar
category.
- Drag and drop any file to include a link or embed of it.
- Import files from KJots, basKet and KNotes.
- Possibly nepomuk and strigi integration for searching and tagging of
the basKet files. (may be for after GSoC)

What are everyone's thoughts on such a project?

Best Regards,
Ryan Rix

[1]: http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com/2010/02/05/basket-is-dead-long-
live-basket/