Battery applet and KIcon

Nuno Pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Mon Feb 15 00:18:02 CET 2010

On Sunday, 14 de February de 2010 19:45:17 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On February 14, 2010, Marco Martin wrote:
> > >
> > > a) use reviewboard
> > >
> > > b) since when have we abandoned scalable interfaces? ("nobody uses it
> > > larger than 64 pixels, and we will generate a 256px icon"; seriously?)
> > >
> > > c) how does this allow one to ensure the battery matches the desktop
> > > theme?
> > >
> > > d) if this is such a brilliant idea, why can't the pixmaps be put into
> > > the SVG file along with the freely scalable version?
> >
> > I see the problems of both sides, because, with an icon
> > would be hard to change it depending on plasma theme
> > limited only for some sizes
> >
> > however:
> > it is absolutely true that a svg rendered at a random size can look
> > really bad when is not aligned at the pixel grid
>
> this is a general problem, we should investigate a general solution.
>
> > or it too detailed (or not
> > enough) for the rendered size (in the end this is why true type fonts
> > have that scary hinting language)
>
> i don't thin we need a scary language, but some simple hints might do.
>
> > so what i propose is the following:
> > use the svg for the battery as now, -but-
> > if we are rendering at a certain size, and the element in the svg we want
> > to render is "battery" search another one with the proper prefix, for
> > instance "22-battery" before. it can be a svg, an embedded pixmap
> > whatever (we should really understand what is the more efficient between
> > the two probably) if is found paint that, otherwise paint  the fallback
> > general one.
>
> this sounds like a good start to a general solution we could apply
> elsewhere. i'd like to put this on the table for tokamak 4 where we can
> properly discuss it and experiment with a number of people with the
> various expertise needed around one or two screens.

This was im my personal road-map for tokamak 4 i have talked about this with
Marco and there are several ways to bypass this some extremely work-full some
more easy but more hackish.

we kinda decided some time ago to make the system try icons themable according
to the plasma theme, we even had this discussion with the fredesktop people as
the best way to do it according to the  naming speck (ofcourse they cant do
the same things we can potentially do so they are skiting with the typical non
scalable solution (16x16, 24x24 32x32 etc)

--
Oxygen coordinator