Battery applet and KIcon

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Feb 14 20:45:17 CET 2010

On February 14, 2010, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Sunday 14 February 2010, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On February 14, 2010, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > to follow up on a message i sent some time ago, I started to convert
> > > the battery applet to make it use KIcon. =)
> >
> > a) use reviewboard
> >
> > b) since when have we abandoned scalable interfaces? ("nobody uses it
> > larger than 64 pixels, and we will generate a 256px icon"; seriously?)
> >
> > c) how does this allow one to ensure the battery matches the desktop
> > theme?
> >
> > d) if this is such a brilliant idea, why can't the pixmaps be put into
> > the SVG file along with the freely scalable version?
>
> I see the problems of both sides, because, with an icon
> would be hard to change it depending on plasma theme
> limited only for some sizes
>
> however:
> it is absolutely true that a svg rendered at a random size can look really
> bad when is not aligned at the pixel grid

this is a general problem, we should investigate a general solution.

> or it too detailed (or not
> enough) for the rendered size (in the end this is why true type fonts have
> that scary hinting language)

i don't thin we need a scary language, but some simple hints might do.

> so what i propose is the following:
> use the svg for the battery as now, -but-
> if we are rendering at a certain size, and the element in the svg we want
> to render is "battery" search another one with the proper prefix, for
> instance "22-battery" before. it can be a svg, an embedded pixmap whatever
> (we should really understand what is the more efficient between the two
> probably) if is found paint that, otherwise paint  the fallback general
> one.

this sounds like a good start to a general solution we could apply elsewhere.
i'd like to put this on the table for tokamak 4 where we can properly discuss
it and experiment with a number of people with the various expertise needed
around one or two screens.

humru othro a kohnu se