kde 4.3.>5 plasma applets battery

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Sun Feb 14 11:09:09 CET 2010

On Saturday 13 February 2010 17:35:09 Shantanu Tushar Jha wrote:
> > I am using kde 4.3.>5 from
> > "svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/4.3/"
> > on my laptop.
> >
> > I was not able to see the remaining time, when my laptop is on battery.
> > So I "fixed" that.
> >
> > I hope that you, or the person, who is responsible for that, will take
> > the "fix" over to "svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/4.3/", so
> > that everyone can enjoy that.
> >
> > The "fix" is in the email attachment.
>
> The estimated time has been intentionally removed from the applet after
> long discussion.

And personally, I think the situation has changed since then. I don't know for
you, but I haven't seen a computer that does a very bad estimation of the
remaining battery time crappily since a long time now. (only exception is my
eeepc 701 whose bios does only support percentages dividable by ten - 10%,
20%, ...)

Obviously you can't foresee the future in your software, but that's what
"estimated" means, in every other battery "applet" in every other desktop
environment in every other operating system. With similar reasonings, all the
ETA in the progress dialogs should be removed, since those can be equally
fallant.

And I've seen many people to whom I had to explain what had happened and why
we removed that feature, without even letting it in the configuration UI... (a
config that is really NOT crowded, and that really could host one little
checkbox more)
This "bugreport" is just a symptom of this, IMHO.

I hope some of you see the validity of my point...

-Riccardo
Hasiti Lapé Hetep Malu Mир Wolakota Santiphap Irini Peoch שלום