plasmate alpha1 release

Richard Dale richard.j.dale at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 10:58:17 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Diego Casella ([Po]lentino)
<polentino911 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> From: Yuen Hoe Lim <yuenhoe86 at gmail.com>

>>> It's all the same for me. Yuen Hoe, Shantanu, what do you think ?
>>
>> I'm not really in position to comment knowledgeably because I don't know
>> anything about theming (yet). It would probably be a little weird though if
>> PlasMate ends up being a complete, one-stop tool for everything else (at
>> least for Plasmoids we're close to and aiming for this) but will never be as
>> such for themes, if I understood Aaron's point correctly.
>
> Agreed, that's my point of view indeed.
> By the way, with theme packaging enabled too, PlasMate won't be a complete
> Plasma development tool because we still don't provide any Wallpaper plugin
> support. And, afaik, there is only python bindings for that (apart from c++,
> of course).
> So, should we discard theming support, or add Wallpaper support too (for
> python at least, and wait for 4.5SC to get  js and ruby bindings) and make
> plasmate complete ?
> Or simply, release it as it is now, refining the actual features, and listen
> to users feedbacks ?
>>
>> That's my 2cents. I think Aaron and Diego should probably make the final
>> decision on this (and Shantanu too if you know ought about theming).
>>
>> ----
>> Jason "moofang" Lim Yuen Hoe
>> http://yuenhoe.co.cc/
>>
>> From: "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo at kde.org>
>> >
>> > Ok, so should we disable the js ( and ruby ) radio button when selecting
>> > runner or dataEgine project, until we get an improved API  ?
>>
>> yes, probably makes sense. we should make sure that they are enabled by
>> the
>> time KDE SC 4.5 is available, though. but that's 6 months away :)
>
> Nice, it's time to ping kde-bindings guys then :)
I not sure what the problem with Ruby data engines is. You can create
them, and they have a very similar api to the C++ data engine api.

It isn't possible to create a Ruby runner at present - that is because
Ruby 1.8 is pretty slow and Ruby 1.8.x threads aren't proper threads.
That may change if QtRuby is better adapted to work with Ruby 1.9.x by
the time KDE SC 4.5 is released.

-- Richard