plasmate alpha1 release

Diego Casella ([Po]lentino) polentino911 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 14:13:36 CET 2010

> From: Yuen Hoe Lim <yuenhoe86 at gmail.com>
>
>> i wonder if a purpose-built tool just
>>> for making theme packages wouldn't be better. what do you think of
>>> dropping
>>> themes from the target use cases?
>>>

>> It's all the same for me. Yuen Hoe, Shantanu, what do you think ?
>>

> I'm not really in position to comment knowledgeably because I don't know
> anything about theming (yet). It would probably be a little weird though if
> PlasMate ends up being a complete, one-stop tool for everything else (at
> least for Plasmoids we're close to and aiming for this) but will never be as
> such for themes, if I understood Aaron's point correctly.

Agreed, that's my point of view indeed.
By the way, with theme packaging enabled too, PlasMate won't be a complete
Plasma development tool because we still don't provide any Wallpaper plugin
support. And, afaik, there is only python bindings for that (apart from c++,
of course).
So, should we discard theming support, or add Wallpaper support too (for
python at least, and wait for 4.5SC to get  js and ruby bindings) and make
plasmate complete ?
Or simply, release it as it is now, refining the actual features, and listen
to users feedbacks ?

> That's my 2cents. I think Aaron and Diego should probably make the final
> decision on this (and Shantanu too if you know ought about theming).
>
> ----
> Jason "moofang" Lim Yuen Hoe
> http://yuenhoe.co.cc/
>
> From: "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo at kde.org>
> > > the javascript DataEngine and Runner APIs are not documented. unless
> > > someone
> > > else get to it, they won't be before 4.5 is out. which is ok, since
> those
> > > Javascript APIs have known (at least to me ;) deficiencies in 4.4.
> those
> > > are
> > > really more 4.5 targets.
> >
> > Ok, so should we disable the js ( and ruby ) radio button when selecting
> > runner or dataEgine project, until we get an improved API  ?
>
> yes, probably makes sense. we should make sure that they are enabled by the
> time KDE SC 4.5 is available, though. but that's 6 months away :)

Nice, it's time to ping kde-bindings guys then :)