About pastebin applet

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Tue Feb 2 14:09:16 CET 2010

On Thursday 28 Jan 2010 17:41:09 Artur Souza (MoRpHeUz) wrote:
> So, what do you think ? Pastebin turns into "Share It!" with a better
> architecture.

I dream of a desktop where these kinds of sharing are all accessible in the
same way:

Sources:
local files
clipboard
URLs

Destinations:
Paste into widgets
Online paste/image/file bins
Online galleries (flickr/picasa/...)
Contacts (mail attachment, IM file xfer, bluetooth obex, zeroconf file xfer eg
kepas[1])
'Facebook Wall' (for URLs), digg

On the face of it you would need a list of mimetypes that each destination
would accept, config UI for destinations requiring registration, and a UI
plugin to provide additional metadata needed (eg user name for *bins, url
comment text for facebook wall, image title for galleries.  For the
heavyweight media like email and IM I assume the plugin would just call KMail
or Kopete and tell them to open a message composer or file transfer window
primed with the content to send, and let them use their existing UI to select
the contact to send it to (I implemented the Send To->Contact function in KDE
3's kuick konqueror plugin and it was always a bit slow to fetch the list of
online contacts in a slot connected to the context menu's aboutToShow()
signal).

You could then use this Share it! broker in a plasma drop widget, Klipper and
Copy To... in file managers.

So while you're rethinking things, go for the biggest picture, it's the KDE
way!

Will