plasmate alpha1 release

Yuen Hoe Lim yuenhoe86 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 11:12:03 CET 2010

Hi guys,

would it be reasonable to try for an alpha release with:

> * tagging on the 8th
> * release on the 10th, assuming the tagging goes well

Sounds awesome! I'm not sure what kind of quality would be expected of alpha
software though :P Some of my questons/concerns about the present state of
PlasMate are as follows:

   - AFAIK we are only (more or less) good to go for Plasmoids. I think
   runners et al don't quite work. Do we "hide" those options for now? :P
   - Likewise we currently have some UI stubs for unimplemented features
   (eg. Publish to GHNS), "hide" those too?
   - I haven't really been testing the timeline, and now that I tried it, it
   doesn't seem to work right =( Am I not using it correctly? Or is it bugged?
   Diego could you check? :P
   - I can't seem to create a configuration dialog for my (Python) plasmoid
   in PlasMate. I used to override showConfigurationInterface(), but that
   doesn't seem to work while using PlasMate. As long as I set
   hasConfigurationInterface to True and have the "User Interface" folder
   empty, the plasmoid always crashes when I attempt to view the configuration
   interface (right-click > settings). IIRC you're supposed to put
   QtDesigner-generated ui files in "User Interface", if so, does it make sense
   to release now when there's no QtDesigner integration? Or we just leave the
   configuration interface to "future work"?
   - Additional, non-urgent point following from the last: crashing the
   plasmoid crashes PlasMate. This doesn't seem right, but I've no idea how to
   fix it at this point.

What do you all think? If we could solve/get around these then for my part I
think we're good :)

> we should have a release plan from that point forward as well. how about:
>
> * a release every month, around the 10th of the month
> * if changes warrant it and there is the manpower for it, interim releases
> * aim for first betas in may, this would also include a feature freeze
> * aim to move it into extragear/sdk/ and release a 0.1 release in tandem
> with
> KDE SC 4.5

Sounds good to me, although with only 2-3 devs I'm not sure how many changes
we'll be able to push each month.

----
Jason "moofang" Lim Yuen Hoe
http://yuenhoe.co.cc/