Plasma desktop init scripting

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Dec 24 10:36:27 CET 2010

On Wednesday, December 22, 2010, Jeremiah Summers wrote:
> It would be nice if there were examples for loading folderview as the
> default activity (ie. classic desktop) setting its backend and maybe
> placing a widget at the bottom right of the screen ie. a trash can. I have

so ... you want us to write your init script for you ;P

more seriously, i'm unclear as to what is missing in the documentation that
makes this difficult to achieve. perhaps that's because i wrote it and so
can't see what's missing or unclear.

afaiu, what your script needs is:

* a way to create a new containment with a given type
* the ability to write a config value
* the ability to get the size of a screen and/or containment
* a way to create a new widget in your containment

what is missing from that list? which items in that list are not well answered
in the documentation?

if it's a matter of having a tutorial on things to watch for when creating an
init script (multiple screens, etc.) to augment the documentation, i think
that's the sort of thing that others could write as a nice contribution.

tbh: i've spent a lot of time in the last year writing and updating
documentation for different areas of plasma. we've had some contributions, but
not much, and i'm a little tired of doing things that i have zero personal
need for that others could quite easily do.

reading the desktop scripting documentation, experimenting a bit and putting
together some simple examples and/or a "writing an init script" tutorial is
completely within reach of virtually anyone with even moderate scripting
experience and a little motivation.

even editting the existing documentation to be clearer in places (i'm sure
there are many improvements to be made to it) would be good. it's on a wiki,
so it's completely editable.

humru othro a kohnu se