Plasmoids, DataEngines & GHNS

Thomas Olsen tanghus at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 06:05:59 CET 2010

---snip-----

> * hack it into Plasma::PackageStructure now by making installPackage a
> synchronous wrapper around a new method in Plasma::PackageStructure,
> perhaps called Plasma::PackageStructure::install(..). this new method
> would Q_INVOKE a protected Q_SLOT that would return a KJob * (this could
> be done internal to Plasma::Package) with notes made about fixing this in
> libplasma2
>
> the actual mechanics of querying GHNS for package availability would
> require some work as well as it doesn't seem to be set up for random
> querying outside of the GHNS UI right now. that should be fixable though
> :)
>
> so if we do go the route of the second option above, then there are several
> steps towards making this happen:
>
> * adding the KJob* returning method to PackageStructure
>
> * put the contents of the static Package::installPackage method into a new
> private method that returns a KJob* (the existing Package::installPackge
> would just wrap this new method)
>
> * add code to check for dependencies in the metadata.desktop after the
> archive is unpacked, but before it is installed
>
> * figure out a plan for GHNS (probably with fregl)
>
> interested in working on any of those things? :)

I would very much like to answer yes to that question, but have a few
obstacles:

 - I haven't coded any C++ since hacking on KDE back in 97-98.
 - I'm low on machinepower (Athlon 1700+ and ~10GB free disk space)

I'm guessing I could clean up some space and I suppose I would only need to
checkout a subset of libplasma?
But I would still need someone to make a plan and mentor me through something
Junior Job'ish to start with ;-)

BTW: Who is fregl?

--
Best regards / med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Dropbox and my thumb drive had an epic battle. Dropbox won.
http://db.tt/T0p6d6L