problem with popup message and auto-deletion

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 10:53:43 CET 2010

On December 19, 2010 10:39:11 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 4:51 AM, todd rme <toddrme2178 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Aaron Lewis <the.warl0ck.1989 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> Hmmm .. I still expect you developers add an option for it.
> >>
> >> Like me , i got a crontab for my fortune program , the story-teller ,
> >> and it popup messages every 30 minutes with kdialog.
> >>
> >> In this case , i don't want to bother deleting them by clicking , i
> >> would prefer just read the text poped up and let it disappear itself is
> >> fine enough.
> >>
> >> What do you think about it ?
> >
> > This is also an issue with Amarok notifications.  I really don't need
> > a history of the last 80 son
>
> will repeagt one last time:
> there is *no* information to decide such a rhing.
> the only way would be a whitelist/blacklist based on application name.
> and i don't wanna do that :D

so then the problem is a lack of information. can we solve this problem?
can we educate KDE apps on the importance levels, and/or go around patching
apps to make proper use of them?

it seems to me that the API is there, all we need is for both sides to *use*
it.

and then, if an app misbehaves, can we think of a nice way to let the user
override it? most kde apps have ridiculously configurable notifications :) but
some non-kde apps (like whatever pete's using for IM, pidgin I think) are
hardcoded to spam every tiny boring event... would a UI for "these apps are
unimportant" be a good feature for the notification applet, or do we just tell
the user to use well-behaved apps?

--
Chani
http://chani.ca