problem with popup message and auto-deletion

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 18:06:06 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Chani <chanika at gmail.com> wrote:
> On December 18, 2010 16:35:44 Marco Martin wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Aaron Lewis <the.warl0ck.1989 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >        Before KDE SC 45 , message sent by kdialog --passivepopup would be
>> > automatically deleted in case user doesn't care , but now everything was
>> > stored , that should be an option , at least with kdialog's.
>> >
>> > Some of the messages should be stored like Kopete's notification of mail
>> > box , but others like file transfer completed message and for me , a
>> > popup fortune message every half an hour shouldn't stored ;-)
>> >
>> > Was there already a option for disabling this feature ?
>>
>> the importance of a message like being a chat, being an error or
>> something useless is not something available to the notification
>> protocol, so we can't do discriminations like that.
>>

> why isn't it available to the protocol? :)

what we have is just the application name and an optional importance,
that however is rarely used
let's say the birth of said protocol wasn't a shining example of collaboration

but even if it had enough information there is always the issue of
expecting applications make good use of it ;)

Cheers,
Marco Martin