kdereview: adjustable clock

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Aug 26 17:24:43 CEST 2010

On Thursday, August 26, 2010, Emdek wrote:
> Well, this is not relevant in this case, all rendering is done by WebKit,
> user only specifies HTML to feed it and only interactions done by applet
> are setting default font color, check if background should be displayed
> (relevant for desktop) and calculation of scale factor to make it fit.
> Trying to be smarter than user can cause only problems, if user mess up
> format then he simply can reset it to one of defaults ones and try to
> modify them again if he wants. :-)

which is why i feel that adjustable clock isn't something we should ship with
the default Plasma set: it makes a different set of compromises, non-
compatible with the ones Plasma does. specifically, Plasma puts consistency
and scalability above user customization (the idea being that the user should
not be able to break basic visual consistencies, such as content fitting in a
panel). adjustable clock takes a different POV: it's ok if things are
breakable, the user is in control and we trust the user to break their own
things or not.

neither position is "right" in an absolute sense, but they are not
particularly compatible. while it's great that Plasma allows the expression of
different sets of priorities, it would run counter to the baseline ideas to
ship, by default, items that don't match those prorities as well.

ergo, why i want to see adjustable clock in extragear :)

humru othro a kohnu se