QtJolie and remote widgets

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 23:59:52 CEST 2010

Hey guys,

You probably remember that back in the days (I'm talking about Tokamak in
Randa) I helped Rob getting remote widgets in shape for release. This also
implied putting a private branch of QtJolie straight into libplasma, due to
the fact that the current QtJolie release did not support certain features
which were needed for remote widgets. I think Kevin might confirm that this is
no longer true - I am not really knowledgeable about Jolie & friends so I
can't tell.

However, I'd really like to remove that code from kdelibs as it definitely
does not belong there. However, after a quick look at the code, I found out
that such a thing would mean having a hard dependency on QtJolie in kdelibs.

So, basically I'd like to know if anybody is planning to maintain remote
widgets actively to plan what I should do. I am surely fond to learn Jolie as
I'm interested in it, so I can volunteer for at least having a better
situation than now.

What I'd like to do is abstract the Jolie stack to let kdelibs compile without
QtJolie itself (even if this would mean remote widgets won't really work). I
also remember some people talking about abstracting dnssd for using $something
else, but I'll leave this for the discussion.

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer
GPG Key Signature: 511A9A3B