Review Request: Manual panel hiding [WIP]

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Wed Aug 18 08:30:29 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 17 August 2010 23:56:04 Marco Martin wrote:

> > > Will Stephenson wrote:
> > >     Ditto - our users are still asking for it - as they do on every
> > >     release.
> > >
> > > Aaron Seigo wrote:
> > >     *gasp* all of them? ;)
> > >
> > >     more seriously, "our users" as a generic term is not a very
> > >     interesting metric, since in reality it could be 10 loud users out
> > >     of 1000 or it could be an actually significant %. :)
> > >
> > >     that said ... looks like this patch is abandoned. would be nice if
> > >     someone picked it up and finished it out.
> > >
> > > Will Stephenson wrote:
> > >     It's the loud and unhelpful crew.
> >
> > Stephenson picks up the ball^Wpatch and runs with it.  Currently I've
> > switched to Plasma::Toolbutton for the hiding buttons, using layouts
>
> isn't a but risky to assume there will be a layout in the panel contaiment?

Did I misread you on the diff then?

> > instead of manual hiding, made it work with vertical panels and am
> > currently trying to figure out how to do something GlowBar-like instead
> > of showing QToolButtons in screen corners when the panel is hidden.
> > I'll
>
> yeah, would look nice
>
> > post a new diff for review tomorrow.
> >
> > Oh and is there any way to get the right hiding button past the Panel
> > Tool Box button?  containment()->layout() does not seem to include it.
>
> i guess the space for the toolbox is reserved with setContentmargins, so
> the layout can't be used there
>
> just had crazy idea:
> the panel ackground would be painted by the view (just as Plasma::Dialog)
> (except for CustomPanels)
> the hide buttons would be qwidgets childs of the view, but would be easy to
> include them in the background since the background itself would be painted
> by the view.

I'll have to look at that code and see how it works.  At the moment I am just
hacking with a superficial knowledge of Plasma's internals.

If the hide buttons would be qwidgets, but we want to have the right themeing,
would this make them Plasma::Toolbuttons drawn on separate Views as QWidgets?

Will