Krunner Coding Questions

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Aug 17 20:17:53 CEST 2010

On Monday, August 16, 2010, David Baron wrote:
> 1. I add the actions. Their icons overwrite the "wrench" icon on the right.
> I actually prefer the icons rather than a the dropdown usually shown when
> clicking that icon. So I want to not have the "wrench" icon at all, just
> mine. How?

it wrench shows up only if you set the match as having configuration. so, as
you discovered it seems, just don't do that :)

that said, if you are providing configuration, please don't work around the
system and provide it in a non-standard way. no matter how clever it may seem
to be at the time, it will only make the experience inconsistent and is likely
to break in future revisions.

remember that there are more than just the default KRunner UI that uses the
Runners, and so messing around too much with non-standard, clever behaviour
can and will cause problems elsewhere.

> 2. The action I have in mind would open the configuration dialog normally
> opened for my runner in the dropdown list of all the runners. Since this is
> a separate "kcm-module," how do I load it and exercise it, getting the
> configuration changed signal to my runner (the parent)?

use the configuration interface as provided. it supports QWidget based UIs,
which is what the kcm-module is.

> 3. I do not want the krunner window to close when I click this action. I
> want to re-perform the match with any new options. How do I keep krunner
> "live" and accomplish this?

the best way to do this is to mark the match as Informational.

humru othro a kohnu se