Skrooge plasma dashboard

Guillaume DE BURE guillaume.debure at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 18:37:49 CEST 2010

Le lundi 16 août 2010 19:09:05, siddharth sharma a écrit :
> hey Guillaume & Stephane
>
> Please see this screen shot, Guillaume i am able to fetch data into Plasma
> applets have a look. now we have 6 applets workin on dashboard :)
>
> yay :)
>
> regards
> Siddharth

Hi Siddharth,

Nice work :) A few additional comments from my side:

1) Comments ! Please comment your code, this is especially important in a community work where everyone can review / correct / enhance your code.

2) I know you didn't use a dataengine for now. That's OK. But still I'd like you to have a try on it. A dataengine makes it significantly easier to write dashboard widgets, because the person writing the widget doesn't have to know the SQL queries useful for retrieving information. At the moment, the way to collect information that is displayed is coded inside the widget. If we want to provide easier writing of new widgets, dataengine is the way to go. Here is something I would like you to investigate :
	- How does the dataengine collect data from various skrooge plugins (remember that the dashboard makes no assumption as to which skrooge plugins are available) ? Or is it up to each plugin to push its information to the dataengine ?
	- Or maybe each skrooge plugin provides its own dataengine ?
	- Or maybe the dataengine is found at the skgbankmodeler level, and hence knows already all relevant information from the SQLite database

3) Regarding widgets, there are two options I'd like you to evaluate:
	- We assume that widgets live independantly from plugins, and that they depend only on information found in the dataengine. This is very similar to the desktop plasmoids, they *usually* do not depend on another app being installed, only on some dataengine information
	- Or each plugin provides its own set of widgets. This makes it less open as far as contribution goes: it won't be easy for new skrooge contributors to discover where to put code for new widgets. This option is how it currently works in the Dashboard1 (the non-plasma dashboard).

A bit of design to do for you there... :)

CC'ing the plasma folks in case they want to be involved :D

Cheers,

Guillaume

PS: Siddharth, if you're not yet subscribed to the plasma mailing list, please do it *now* !